The Big Give and match funding
The Big Give is an online donation platform that profiles the work of thousands of UK-registered charities and inspires people to give.
We are responsible for the UK’s biggest online match funding campaign, the Christmas Challenge. In addition to match funding campaigns, we also provide a number of other services to help charities, individuals and philanthropists to connect and raise more money online. Since being founded by Sir Alec Reed in 2007, the Big Give has helped to raise £82 million for UK-registered charities.
The Big Give is generously supported by reed.co.uk which helps us provide a cost-effective service for both charities aiming to raise funds, philanthropists wishing to leverage their giving and individuals wishing to donate money online.
Match funding is when donations made to a charity are doubled or ‘matched’ by funding from another source.
The Big Give has become known as the online match funding specialists. We run a number of online match funding campaigns throughout the year.
- Provision of a safe and secure payment portal so your charity can receive online donations all year round
- Full reclaim of eligible Gift Aid
- Fraud monitoring
- Instant notifications sent to your email of donations received via the Big Give
- Charity account area (updated in real time) to monitor details of donations received, including the amount, fees deducted, donor contact details, payment date when it will reach your charity’s bank account and more
- Option to add individual charity projects with unique donation pages
- Opportunity to access to match funding (when match funding campaigns are running)
- Access to the Big Give’s Trustee Finder – you can post a trustee advert from your Big Give account area by going to the ‘Trustee Applications tab’. The role will be advertised on the Big Give for six months and reed.co.uk, the UK’s number 1 job site, for six weeks to give you access to millions of potential trustees
- Access to the Big Advice column – we connect you to top industry experts who can offer advice on some of your most challenging charity related issues
- Service commitment from the Big Give to maintain, monitor and improve its donation platform to ensure it can manage high levels of traffic while meeting the latest security and banking standards
- Service commitment from the Big Give to respond to queries received at firstname.lastname@example.org within 3 working hours
Registering on the Big Give
To register your charity on the Big Give, please complete the registration form.
To register on the Big Give, your charity must be registered in the UK or have exempt status from HMRC. If you are not sure whether you are eligible, get in touch with us at email@example.com.
An exempt charity is one that is not regulated by, and cannot register with, the Charity Commission.
If your charity is not registered with either the English or Scottish Charity Commission, but has tax exempt status for charitable purposes granted by HMRC, you can select ‘exempt’ when registering on the Big Give.
You will then be contacted by a member of the Big Give team who will ask you to provide your exempt number and a letter from HMRC as evidence of this. If you do not have this available, please contact HMRC and they will be able to provide you with this letter.
Yes, as a CIO must be registered with the Charity Commission to legally exist, you are eligible to register on the Big Give.
No, as a CIC does not have charitable status and cannot claim Gift Aid, this type of organisation is not currently eligible to register on the Big Give.
It takes approximately one hour to complete the charity registration process. Here’s an overview of the information you will need to provide:
- Your UK registered charity number or proof of exempt status
- Your mission statement and charitable aims
- Information about your organisation’s staffing structure, trustees and volunteers
- Your logo in JPEG, PNG or GIF format
No, you will be required to complete the whole registration process before your profile is saved.
If you feel that you may not have time to finish it all before exiting, please copy and paste your responses to the questions into a Word document or similar, so that you have a record when you come back to it another time.
Please note that if you leave a page of the registration process open for longer than 30 minutes without editing it, your session will expire and you will lose any information entered.
It is free to register on the Big Give. All donations (including Gift Aid) made on the Big Give website are subject to a 4% fee. Read more about our fees here.
To see how the Big Give compares to a selection of donation sites based on making a £10 donation (plus Gift Aid) with a debit card, visit the ‘Our fees’ page.
Receiving donations via the Big Give
To register your charity’s bank details, simply login to your Big Give account area, click on the ‘Your Bank Details Status’ tab and follow the instructions. Note that you will need to provide a charity bank statement dated within the last three months.
Charity Checkout does a monthly payout of donations received via theBigGive.org.uk on the 20th of each month (or the nearest working day thereafter) for any donations made during the month prior. Depending on when in the month donations are made, it can take up to 4-6 weeks for them to be paid out.
Our payments processor, Charity Checkout, claims Gift Aid on your charity’s behalf. Charity Checkout is an approved HMRC Gift Aid Agent and will process Gift Aid claimed on donations made via theBigGive.org.uk. Any Gift Aid claimed and paid out will be subject to the same 4% processing fee as online donations. Charity Checkout reclaims Gift Aid on the 20th of each month (or the nearest working day thereafter) for any donations made during the month prior. The Gift Aid is paid directly to your charity by HMRC, including any interest owed.
Provided the donor does not choose to remain anonymous, you will be able to see their details alongside each donation made via the Big Give. This information is available in your charity account area in the ‘Your donations’ tab at the top of the page.
The Big Give runs an educational programme called Philanthropy in Schools, which gives young people the opportunity to experience charitable giving first hand and donate to a charity of their choice using a voucher.
If you have received a voucher donation, feel free to get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can let you know which school has run the programme for you to say thank you.
You will have a Charity Checkout account which you can log in to in order to view both a donations report showing donations made on theBigGive.org.uk and a payout report showing the payment of these funds to your charity by Charity Checkout.
Your Big Give account
To update your charity’s profile on the Big Give, log in to your account area and click the ‘Update charity profile’ button on the right hand side under ‘Charity details’.
Email email@example.com with the following information for the person responsible for your charity’s Big Give account and we will issue you with a new set of log in details:
- Contact name
- Contact position
- Primary email address
- Alternative email address (charity’s generic email)
- Charity telephone number
To post a trustee advert, log in to your account area and go to the ‘Trustee Applications’ tab at the top of the page. You will need to complete the form and click ‘Submit’ to send your advert to the Big Give team for review. Once approved, you will receive an email from the Big Give to let you know your advert has gone live on theBigGive.org.uk and on reed.co.uk.
Email your question to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send it on to the best suited individual on our panel of experts.
Staying in touch with the Big Give
To make sure you receive the Big Give’s emails, please add email@example.com to your address book.
Please see below for instructions on how to add an email to your address book for the following email clients:
- Click the down arrow (More) next to the Reply button in the top right corner of the email message.
- Select Add ___ to Contacts list from the menu that comes up.
- Create a contact for that person in your Outlook Contacts. After the contact is saved, the changes are reflected in the Address Book.
- Open Address Book from the Launchpad, Dock, or from the Applications folder.
- Click the Add (+) button below the contacts list to create a new contact card.
- Enter the person’s name and contact information in the designated fields
In addition, if you find email from firstname.lastname@example.org in your spam or junk folder, you can tell your email client that it’s not spam by hitting the not spam or not junk button. This will train your software to allow emails from this address in the future.
To update your charity’s contact details, log in to your account area and click the ‘Update charity profile’ button on the right hand side under ‘Charity details’. This will allow you to edit the information for your charity’s primary contact. To add/update an alternative email for your charity, go to the ‘Alternative email’ tab at the top of the menu on the right hand side.
When you register on the Big Give, we ask you to add an alternative email address in case we are unable to deliver email notifications to your primary address. We recommend adding your charity’s generic email.
You can always change the email addresses you’ve added and your email preferences by logging in to your account area, clicking ‘Update charity profile’ on the right hand side of your Big Give dashboard and going to the ‘Alternative email tab’, as shown in the screenshot below.
If you are using Internet Explorer as your browser, we recommend that you consider using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. This is because Internet Explorer is often a less responsive browser.
If you are using our recommended browsers and still encountering issues, please get in touch with us at email@example.com and if possible, send a screenshot. To do this, press the ‘Print Screen’ button on your keyboard and then Ctrl + V to paste the screenshot into the body of the email. This will help us to resolve the issue more quickly.
To resize an image, follow these steps:
- Open the image
- Right click
- Hover over ‘Open With’
- Select ‘Paint’ from the menu
Here’s what you should see:
Go to ‘Resize’ in Paint, as shown below:
Select ‘Pixels’ and enter 1024 in the ‘Horizontal’ box. Then click ‘OK’.
To save the image, go to ‘File’ – ‘Save As’ – ‘JPEG picture’:
You will now be able to upload this image to your charity profile.